The OneUSG Vision
OneUSG is an initiative launched by the University System of Georgia (USG) to develop and implement a consistent approach to policies, procedures, and technology solutions to support the Chancellor's strategic imperative of accountability, efficiency, and innovation.
The OneUSG initiative is ultimately expected to help the University System Offices (USO) and institutions come together to reduce costs, streamline processes, and have consistent guidelines and procedures with centralized support.
The team created this four-part series to help breakdown the HCM Transformation, explaining what it is, why it’s happening and how it will impact you.
Benefits of Moving to OneUSG Connect
As part of this initiative, Georgia Tech will adopt leading business practices and streamline existing business processes. While it will be necessary to learn new terminology and navigation, we will also gain new features and functionality in moving to this platform. For example, OneUSG Connect:
- Is mobile friendly and accessible
- Supports organizational reporting and provides an online organization chart
- Presents a more intuitive user interface and offers an improved user experience
- Enables electronic approvals
- Provides improved transparency and tracking
- Supports increased accountability
- Provides a more unified and integrated system
OneUSG Connect Applications
These applications will be introduced in phases. The project team is currently determining the timing for rolling out individual applications beginning with the initial launch date.
Replaces the numerous hiring forms and applicant tracking systems we currently use for recruiting (e.g. Taleo).
Manages and maintains foundational Core HR data: data transactions, reports and processes.
Administers health and group benefits.
NOTE: Georgia Tech began using this application in July 2017
Creates paychecks for all employees.
NOTE: The payroll process will be done in conjunction with the USG Shared Services Center (SSC) and payroll processing deadlines will change
Provides employees with a mechanism to view and manage personal information.
Introduces functionality to view and manage information for managers (time approval, position & people management, job information) and faculty (degree information, publications and presentations).
Manages foreign national tax compliance and immigration status data as well as appropriate payment processing for services provided outside the U.S.
Ensures compliance in the recruitment and on-boarding of new foreign national employees.
Used to calculate encumbrances for gross earnings, flat rate fringe, and tuition remission and post encumbrances and actual earnings to the general ledger based on labor distributions.
Replaces Salary Planning & Distribution (SPD).
Maintains information related to faculty promotion, tenure, eligibility, administrative posts, degrees, and special titles.
Time & Labor/ Absence Management
Processes reporting and approval of time and leave.
Replaces current timekeeping systems (e.g., Kronos,TechTime).
Georgia Tech will go-live on OneUSG Connect on January 1, 2020
Understanding the Phases
- Plan & Discover Phase: This phase sets the foundation for the project by mobilizing team members, meeting with key stakeholders, identifying current pain points, and assessing conversion, integration, hardware, and software needs for the PeopleSoft system and associated enterprise systems.
- Design Phase: The objective of the Design Phase is to finalize the future state functional and technical solutions and address the gaps identified during the Plan and Discovery phase.
- Configure & Develop Phase: The objective of the Configure and Develop Phase is to build or retrofit the identified PeopleSoft customizations and system configurations, develop system interfaces, and associated reports to include dashboard and analytics capabilities.
- Test & Train Phase: The objective of the Test and Train Phase is to ensure the system is working as designed and to provide comprehensive training to the users in preparation for successful system go-live.
- Deploy Phase: The objective of the Deploy Phase is to successfully transition the Georgia Tech’s end users to OneUSG Connect.
- After go live, the team will continue to support the program by monitoring and addressing issues, insuring the system stabilizes, and fully transferring ownership of the processes to those stakeholders who will be managing the system.
A first priority for the OneUSG initiative is to bring the University System Offices and all USG institutions onto one technology solution to manage human resources activities, benefits, and compensation. The new platform, OneUSG Connect, is running on PeopleSoft HCM version 9.2.
To manage this transition, the system has been divided into six cohorts. The first cohort “went live” on the new platform in July 2017. Georgia Tech, the final institution to make this shift, will move to the new platform by January 1, 2020.
The transition to OneUSG Connect will impact every department at every level within Georgia Tech: faculty, staff, student employees, affiliates, Tech Temps, and contracted workers. When fully realized, Georgia Tech will leverage the functions within OneUSG Connect to manage a range of HR transactions - from recruiting and onboarding through retirements and terminations.
Georgia Tech Team
Each area within the project has a business owner responsible for that function within Georgia Tech. These owners help drive and make decisions and recommendations for their area, as well as, allocate resources, and assist in determining the overall direction of the program.
Participate as team members within each area by performing identified tasks and duties that could include design documentation, issue log tracking, technical build, test case identification, etc.
Provide subject matter expertise (e.g., institute systems, institute processes, PeopleSoft, Higher Ed best practices) for defined areas to ensure project meets identified requirements.
Participate as needed in various meetings as source of information or to provide targeted subject matter expertise.
Streamlining with the USG
Over the next year, many of our processes, deadlines, and systems will be optimized/streamlined and aligned with the USG platform. For example, we are currently preparing to change the biweekly pay week schedule in order to integrate with the new payroll system and we are transitioning to the USG vendor used to conduct background checks.